Creating a Gmail account is very easy, and you can tweak a lot of settings from your account. However, if you ever require to delete a Gmail account, the process is still very simple. If deleting your account is not your first choice and you want to reconsider your choices, you can simply start by removing your Gmail account from your Android device. You will not get any notifications thereafter, but you can access your account any time you want. If you considered removing an account from your Android device, you will have three options in front of you, and those are:
- Remove a Google account from your phone, and this will disable used to access any Google account or stream any services from that account on your phone, but you can add your account back on your device at any time.
- Switch off the sync if your device doesn’t have enough storage to load all the emails. This way, you will have your Google account on your phone, and you’d still be able to use other apps like YouTube, Google Play, Google Duo, etc. But your emails will not load on your phone anymore.
- Delete account entirely from your device, and this process is irreversible. You will not be able to access any other Google application with the email id you delete permanently.
Before you begin any of the processes, let us remind you that you will not be able to use any Google apps using the deleted Gmail account. You will have to create a new Gmail account to access any of the apps you require. We are going to show you all the steps involved in deleting, removing, and switching off the sync in a Gmail account.
Turn off the Notifications
If you want to access your email but you are annoyed by the notifications, follow these steps to solve the issue:
- On the Gmail app, click on the three-lines icon on the top left corner of the screen.
- Scroll down to select Settings.
- Click on the account for which you want to change the settings.
- Tap on Notifications and from the three options choose None to turn off the notifications.
Turn off the Sync
As we mentioned earlier, switching off the synchronization will not allow you to access your emails from your phone, but you can use the account to use other Google apps. Follow these steps to turn off the sync:
- Go to Settings of Gmail account and click on Users And Accounts or Accounts.
- If you have multiple Gmail accounts, then choose the account for which you want to turn off the sync.
- Click on Account Sync, and from the new menu page, switch off the toggle for Sync or Sync Gmail.
Temporarily Remove your Google Account
There could be many reasons for why you want to use this option. The method to remove the Google account temporarily is more or less the same on all the Android devices. There could be a little variation in the older Android version device. These are the steps that you need to follow:
- Open the Gmail app on your device.
- Click on the three-lined menu bar on the top left corner of the screen.
- Scroll down the page to go to Settings. You will find the list of Gmail accounts you have connected on your mobile.
- Click on the three dots on the top right corner of the screen and tap on Manage Accounts.
- Tap the account that you want to remove from your device and click on Remove Account.
Permanently Delete your Account
You will require your computer or laptop to delete your account permanently from Gmail. You will require an alternate email ID before you begin the process. Continue to follow these steps:
- Sign in to your Gmail account.
- Go to Google page, and from the top right corner of the page, click on the grid and select Account.
- Go to Account Preferences and click on Delete Your Account or Services.
- Click on Delete Product from the two options given on-screen.
- It will require a password to verify your account.
- Click on the bins for the trash icon given next to Gmail and enter your alternate email ID.
- You will get a verification mail, once you click on Send Verification Email.
- Open your alternate email id and follow the link to delete your account.